Performer and workshop facilitator for Classbot 450
KIT Theatre and Potential Difference are looking for an experienced deviser and workshop facilitator to work on Classbot 450 – a unique interactive adventure taking place in primary schools in London February 2021.
Note - we have extended the application deadline to 9am on Monday 7th December
Settling down to what they think will be a normal day at school; students are surprised when an unexpected visitor from the ‘Department of Experimental Affairs’ arrive in their classroom informing them that they have been enlisted to participate in ‘a new government teaching initiative’. A large crate then arrives, revealing a one-of-a-kind humanoid robot teacher: ClassBot 450 LX (or LeX for short). However, when LeX malfunctions dramatically, and teachers are unable to fix her, it is down to pupils to delve into LeX’s source code, discover what’s wrong and save the day.
We are looking for a female performer who is of the African, East, South or South East Asian diaspora to play LeX’s human companion who will work with LeX and to facilitate the sessions. We are seeking someone who:
- Is based in London and able to get to a school early.
- Is confident in devising material (the project is a blend of scripted and devised elements).
- Is a confident improviser and will thrive on responding in character to whatever the children throw at them.
- Is confident performing for and/or facilitating workshops with young people. You will be working with children aged 5-11.
- Is comfortable working with technology. You will be running the software that will allow the children to program Lex. You don’t need to be a coding whizz: we will offer training and support on this. But having good problem solving/attention to detail and a curiosity about technology is important.
The successful applicant will need to undergo a DBS check at a later stage as a requirement for working in schools.
Rehearsals w/c 25th January
Extra tech training/testing sessions TBC w/c 18th January
Performances in schools in North West London: weeks of 1st, 8th, 22nd Feb (8am-4pm)
£600 per week (rehearsal and performance weeks).
£135 per day for other testing/development days
Please send a CV and a short written statement or audio/video recording outlining why you are interested in the role and why you might be suitable to email@example.com by 9am Monday 7th December
We aim to respond to every application by 9th December
First round meetings will take place via phone/zoom on 10th December. You will be asked to prepare a short piece for this.
In person meetings will take place w/c 14th December
We are committed to making this an accessible project and welcome applications from D/deaf and disabled performers. Please contact us if you have any access requirements or questions and we will respond to each case individually.